Boiled black chickpeas are simmered in healthy onion thick gravy. The black chickpeas curry has very comforting taste and are very high in protein and provides a nutritional meal. It has a low glycemic index and is a good protein option for people with Diabetes. Kala Chana is a variation of the commonly found chickpea but it is dark brown in color and smaller in size. It is also known as Bengal gram.
Preparation time – overnight or 5 to 6 hours
Cooking time – 20 – 25 minutes
Types of cooking – Easy
- Red Chana – 1 1/2 cup
- Onion – 1 medium chopped
- Ginger – Garlic Paste – 1 tbsp
- Green chili – 2-3
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tbsp
- Black salt – 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Black Pepper – 1/4 tsp
- Coriander Powder – 1/2 tbsp
- Cumin Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Roasted Cumin Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Red chili Powder – 1 tsp
- Dry mango Powder – 1 tsp
- Kitchen King Masala – 1 tsp
- Kasoori methi – 1 tbsp
- Salt – as per taste
- For Garnish
- Ghee, Lemon juice, and Coriander leaf
Soaking & Preparation –
Rinse Black Chickpeas in water then soak in sufficient water overnight or minimum 5 – 6 hours. If you don’t have much time just soak black chickpeas in hot water for 1 hours
Method of Cooking –
- In a Pressure cooker add soaked Black chickpeas with a 1&1/2 cup of water and some salt. Cover the lid and cook it on high flame till the pressure builds up
- When the when the pressure is build up and after 1 whistle, turn the flame to mediums and cook for another 4 to 5 whistle on low-medium heat
- In a pan or wok heat some oil, once the oil is hot add cumin seed – let it crackle, add chopped onion, green chilis, and ginger garlic paste in the oil.
- Saute for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Now add all the dry spices and cook for 4 to 5 minutes or till the fats separate
- Add cooked black chickpeas to this bhuna masala, cook it covered for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add water if needed to cook the channa if they are still hard.
- Once chana is cooked make sure you dry out the water
- Switch off the flame and let It cool and garnish with lemon juice and coriander leaves before serving.