Sandesh is a very popular Bengali sweet made out or crumbled paneer. This is easy to make and can be customized based on any festival and flavor.
Preparation time – 10 minutes
Cooking time – 15 to 20 minutes
Types of Cuisine – Indian Bengali Sweets
Level of Cooking – Easy
- Milk – 4 cup / 1 liter
- White Vinegar – 2 tbsp
- Powder Sugar – 1/3 cup
- Cardamom Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Extra Milk – 1/2 cup ( For Soak in Saffron )
- Saffron – few threads
- Ghee – for greasing hand
- Pista – for Garnish
Method of Cooking
- Soak Saffron in warm milk and keep aside
- Mix the vinegar in 4 tbsp of water and keep aside.
- Take milk in a big pan and keep it to boil.
- Once the milk boils turn off the flame and let the milk cool down for 30 – 60 seconds (do let it rest for this time as it will make curdling process more effective)
- Add the Vinegar and add to the milk.
- Stir lightly till the milk curdles
- Strain the chhena/curdled milk through a piece of muslin cloth and rinse with cold water. Squeeze to remove all the water. Tie the rinsed chhena/curdled milk in a cloth and hang it for 10 minutes
- Transfer the chhena on to clean worktop or a big plate and knead with the heel of your hand to a smooth mixture.Knead the dough It takes approximately 5 minutes all the process while chhena become in the form of a smooth soft dough
- Heat the kadhai or pan again on medium heat.
- Add the chhena dough made above, saffron milk, cardamom powder, and sugar, mix well and cook on medium heat stirring continuously till the mixture becomes thick and starts to leave the side of the pan
- Let the mixture cool down, once cold mash the mixture and make a smooth dough
- Grease your hand, take a small portion of the mixture and roll into your desired shape.
Enjoy the delicious sweet for any festivity and leave your feedback.