The term Rasmalai is made up of two words – Ras+malai, where ‘ras’ means syrup or juice and ‘malai’ means cream. Together it creates a delicious treat that makes every irresistible. Rasmalai is the soft and spongy flattened paneer (cottage cheese) balls that are soaked in thickened saffron milk and garnished with dry nuts.
Preparation Time – 30 Minutes
Cooking Time – 15/20 Minutes
Level of Cooking – Intermediate
Type – Sweets & Dessert
Ingredients for Chena –
- Milk – 8 cups
- Vinegar – ¼ Cup (Mixed with ½ cup of water)
Ingredients for Boiling Chena Patties –
- Water – 6 Cups
- Sugar – 3 Cups
Ingredients for Ras –
- Milk – 4 cups
- Condensed Milk – 1 & ½ cup
- Pistachio & Almonds – 1/3 cup (chopped)
- Saffron – Few Threads
- Cardamom Powder – ¼ tsp
Method of Preparation (Malai) –
- Take milk in big pan and keep it to boil. Once the milk boils turn off the flame and let the milk cool down for 30 – 60 seconds (do let it rest for this time as it will make curdling process more effective)
- Mix the vinegar in ½ to 1 cup of water and add to the hot milk
- Stir lightly till the milk curdles
- Strain the chena/curdled milk through a piece of muslin cloth and rinse with cold water. Squeeze to remove all the water. Tie the rinsed chena/curdled milk in a cloth and hang it for 20-30 minutes
- Transfer the chena on to clean worktop or a big plate- add few stands of Saffron & 1/4 tsp of cardamom powder.
- Knead with the heel of your hand to a smooth mixture. Knead the dough It takes approximately 8 to 12 minutes all the process while chhena become in the form of a smooth soft dough. Divide the mixture into 25 to 30 equal portions and roll it carefully so that no cracks are formed, make round smooth balls and press them to make shape of patties and keep a side.
- Take 6 cups of water and 3 cups of sugar, let it boil, once boiling add the chena patties to it and cook for 10 minutes
Method of Preparation (Ras) –
- While the chena patties are cooking we can prepare the Ras in parallel.
- Take a heavy bottom pan – add 4 cups of milk, bring it to boil stirring continuously
- Once boiled – add 1 & ½ cup condensed milk
- Add few threads of saffron, cardamom powder, and chopped dry fruits and cook on medium flame for 4 to 5 minutes till it thickens little.
- Add the cooked chena patties to this milk and let it soak for 5 to 6 hours before serving
Delicious Ras Malai is ready – Serve chilled