One the most popular street food of India is Aloo Tikki or Potato patties. Aloo tikki are potato patties that are stuffed with a spicy green peas mixture and pan fried till crispy and brown.
This aloo tikkis are easy to prepare and can be eaten as itself or in the form of Chat
Preparation Time — 10 to 15 Minutes
Cooking Time — 20 minutes
Types of Cuisine — Regnal / Snack and Appetizer
Level of Cooking — Medium
- Potatoes — 4- 5 Medium size
- Cornstarch — 3 4 tbsp
- Salt — 1/2 tsp (for mashed potato)
- Green Peas — 3 cups boiled and mashed
- Spices for Dry Roasting
- Coriander Seeds — 1 1/2 tsp
- Cumin Seeds — 1/2 tsp
- Black Pepper Seeds — 1/2 tsp
- Red Paprika — 1 tbsp
- Garlic cloves — 2-3 chopped
- Green chili — 2-3 chopped
- Ginger — half an inch chopped
- Turmeric Powder — 1/4 tsp
- Dry mango Powder — 1/2 tsp
- Chat Masala — 1/2 tsp
- Salt — as per taste
- Oil — to shallow fry & cook
Method of Cooking-
- Wash & Pressure cook potatoes for 2 to 3 whistle making sure they are not raw from the inside.
- Boil Green Peas and roughly mash
- Remove from cooker and let it cool completely and peel the boiled potato
- In a large bowl, mash up the potatoes till there are no lumps. Add the cornstarch & Salt and make a smooth dough like.
To make the green peas stuffing –
- Dry roast all the spices mentioned above for dry roasting and keep aside
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a pan, once hot add chopped green chili, ginger & garlic and saute for 1 minutes
- To this add mashed green peas, roasted spices, turmeric powder, dry mango powder, chat masala & salt as per taste
- Cook for 2 to 3 minutes mixing well
To make Tikki/Patties-
- Take a handful of the potato mixture in your palm and dig a small dent into its middle.
- Stuff a sufficient amount of the peas mixture into this dent, make balls and flatten them.
- Heat a griddle and shallow fry the tikkis with a little oil until light golden brown on both sides
Serve with Chutney or Ketchup
Alternatively – Serve with Yogurt in form of aloo tikki chat