Thepla is a very famous and favorite snack and breakfast bread from the state of the Gujarat. Thepla is a great snack for picnic, travel, kids tiffin and even as a regular breakfast. Thepla is usually made with methi and wheat flour. In this recipe, For Achari Pumpkin Thepla I have used pumpkin puree to knead the dough and make thepla. This a very flavourful and use of achar masala gives it a great tangy taste.
Pumpkin is one of the food with the lowest calorie and is incredibly rich in vital antioxidants, vitamins, dietary fiber, and minerals.The vegetable is one of the food items recommended by dieticians in cholesterol controlling and weight reduction programs
Preparation time – 10 to 15 minutes
Cooking time – 30 minutes
Level of cooking – Easy
Types of Cuisine – Breakfast / Gujarati / vegetarian
- Wheat flour – 2 cup
- Gram flour – 1/2 cup
- Pumpkin puree – 1 cup
- Yogurt – 1/2 cup
- Ginger paste – 1tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Onion seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Carom seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Kasoori methi – 1 tbsp
- Red chili powder – 1tsp
- Green chili – 2 to 3 chopped
- Coriander powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Dry mint leaves – 1 tsp ( optional )
- Achar Masala from any Pickle – 1 to 2 tbsp
- Salt – as per taste
- Water – if needed
- Oil or Butter – For make thepla
Method of Cooking –
- Wash, Peel, and cut the Pumpkin in small pieces. Pressure cook the Pumpkin for 2 whistles.
- Remove from Cooker let it cool and blend into a puree.
- In a mixing bowl add wheat flour, Pumpkin Puree, and all the other ingredients.
- Adding water in small quantities make a smooth dough (same firmness as like the roti/chapatti dough
To make thepla –
- Take small portion from the dough (Size of the ping pong ball)
- Roll it between your palm to make a rough circle
- Dust it with flour and roll it into a thin round shape (around 7 to 8 inches in diameter)
- Heat the Tawa/iron skillet on medium heat, once hot, put the rolled thepla on it
- Cook well on both side until the golden brown applying Oil or butter as desired
- Repeat it for all the thepla
Enjoy the delicious and Healthy thepla with chutney, pickle, raita of your choice.